About Our Curriculum
The Central Rockies Sustainable Forestry Education Program (CRSFEP) was initiated in 1999 as a cooperative effort in Colorado, South Dakota and Wyoming for the purpose of providing a continuing education curriculum for loggers, landowners, and other interested parties to improve their knowledge and implementation of forestry practices.
In 2013, the CRSFEP adopted a 16-hour Core Curriculum that includes:
- Forest Resource Conservation,
- The Business of Logging,
- Timber Harvest and Transportation Safety,
- Managing Forests with Exceptional Conservation Value,
- Water Quality Best Management Practices,
- Forest Ecology, Silviculture, and
- Emerging Technologies.
The Colorado Timber Industry Association is a member of the CRSFEP Steering Committee, with Continuing Education courses offered each year in conjunction with the CTIA Annual Meeting. Following is a summary of the courses offered since 2008:
- 2016: Safety, Hydraulics, Fire Behavior, Forest Inventory, Climate Change, Wood Utilization, Silviculture, Adaptive Management
- 2015: Silviculture, Safety, Forest Management Practices, Stewardship Contracting
- 2014: Forest Ecology, Silviculture, Business of Logging, Logging Safety
- 2013: BMPs, Trucking Regulations, Logging Safety
- 2012: BMPs, Truck Weight Regulations, Forest Roads, Logging Safety
- 2011: Colorado Water Quality Best Management Practices, Management in Response to Forest Disturbances, Colorado Road Management Guide
- 2010: Estate Planning, Business Planning, Forest Service Stewardship Contracts
- 2009: Colorado Trucking Regulations, Trucking Safety, Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
- 2008: GPS, Hydraulics, Safety
Loggers who complete the Core Curriculum are identified as Master Loggers. Master Loggers are required to complete 12 additional hours of qualifying continuing education courses every 2 years in order to maintain their Master Logger status. View the list of Master Loggers.
For more information about continuing education opportunities for loggers and landowners, contact:
P.O. Box 9773
Rapid City, SD 57709-9773